Automatic way to monitor new filesystems?

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Apr 23 00:17:14 CEST 2003

> Different folks get notified about different filesystems so
> it seems we'll
> need to end up with one Nagios service per filesystem.  Or am
> I missing
> something?

Don't think you're missing anything.  I've defined one Nagios service per filesystem.

Not sure how you would propose to have new filesystems automatically monitored, and have some sort of determinism to be able to assign a contact_group to the newly created service.  Perhaps with the help of the check_crystal_ball plugin?  ;)

If you stop and think about it, you're not that far removed from asking the question, "If I plug a new computer with filesystems A B C D E F and G on it, and it's running processes H I J K and L, and we want basic coverage for 'system health' by monitoring certain aspects such as common Nagios services M N O P Q R S and T, how do we get Nagios to automagically recognize the new host, determine what services it is that we want to monitor, assign the appropriate contact_groups to the appropriate services, and make sure custom tweaks such as the 'workhours' timeperiod for services B O F and H are automagically implemented, and oh yeah, we also want it to determine the appropriate parents directive.  Can Nagios do that?"  ;-)

Actually, Nagios *can* do that.  But you haven't written the script yet that can do it.  ;-)

jc