Contact programs

Jeff Lane crash at pinehurst.net
Thu Apr 17 21:30:35 CEST 2003

Afternoon everyone... or morning or evening depending on your timezone...

I have a somewhat on and off topic question...

I have Nagios running on my computer, monitoring various processes on
machines across my network...  What I need to do now is figure out how
to get Nagios to contact me when an alert is issued.

Now, here is th on topic part:

I understand setting up Nagios to email and page me when an even occurs.
  And I can probably set this up to email an alpha pager so I will know
what problem is occuring on what machine, without having to worry about
it dialing a numeric pager and sending me a cryptic string of numbers...

Problem is, my cell phone will not support this.  It DOES have text
messaging, email, and numeric paging capabilities... but they are rather
limited...

For example...  email is set to a web account that I have to check
periodically wiht the phone... there is no instant notification there.

numeric paging does notify the phone, IIRC, BUT in order to send a page,
I would have to have it dail my phone directly, wait for voicemail to
pickup, and then dial the pager info...  this would mean that I could
never actually answer the phone when it rings, and would have to wait
and check voicemail/messages every so often to actually find out if
someone called me...

I could have text messaging, BUT the company that my cell is through
doesnt want to share any ideas on how to get a text message through
without going to their web site to send it... (or using a second phone
to send the messages....)

SO, here is hte offtopic part...

I would like to try to find something that runs on Linux, that will dial
my phone directly, and on connection, play a wav file... This way, if an
even occured, I could have Nagios run this external program to dial my
phone and play an alert wav file, so I would know to check my email to
see what Nagios is saying.

Has anyone tried something like this?  I know its a bit of a kluge, BUT
until I can get my cell company to tell me how to send text messages
directly from my computer to my phone, I am kinda stuck...

Cheers
JEff

--
Jeffrey Lane
ConnectNC.com / Internet of the Sandhills
W4KDH at arrl.net

chown -r us:us /yourbase/