Prediction

mark mark at woodstream.net
Thu Apr 17 14:58:23 CEST 2003

I think that would be a useful feature. I think howerver instead of just
"prediction" we should talk more about growth and capacity planning.
Prediction may be confused with failure prediction. With the recent
discussions around APAN, Orca, rrd, etc, etc. I can see that prediction
could be implemented in the performance graphing arena. For example, if
you are graphing the historical trend of a metric, it should be reasonable
that you could extrapolate that line out into the future. Of course the
more history you have, the more likely that projection is to be accurate.

Interesting idea. Jim, I know you've been looking at jgraph, is it capable
of extrapolation? If not, does anyone else know of a plotting package that
is? Maybe phplot or gnuplot?

Mark