Question about check load plugin.

Phil Costelloe philc at foundation-it.com
Wed Apr 16 18:33:19 CEST 2003

> From: Lukasz Lesniak [mailto:lukebfth at tlen.pl]
>
> Check_load measure load of system in last 1, 5, 15 minutes,
> isn't it?

Yes.

> But what does mean load?

Load is the number of processes in the run queue averaged over the time
period. It's an arbitrary but surprisingly useful metric.

> Which level of load is warning level or critical level? Default
> values of this plugin is 15,10,5 for warning and 30,25,20 for
> critical.

The plugin checks all three values. As I understand it, it would raise
a warning if 1 minute load was over 15 or 5 minute load was over 10 or
15 minute load was over 5.

> Load (from uptime command) from my prior server
> is:2.59,1.91,1.40. Is this hard?

The load was obviously increasing at the time you checked it (the 1
minute
average is double the 15 minute average) but other than that it looks
OK.
The defaults are nicely judged - I'd generally start worrying if the 15
minute
average was hitting 5 or either of the others was hitting double
figures.

Phil