nagios: Cannot find ELF

Michael Steeves michael_steeves at vrtx.com
Tue Apr 15 22:29:05 CEST 2003

Scott Wares wrote:
> OS:Solaris 8
> HW:Ultra 5
> gcc (GCC) 3.2.2
>
> Nagios seemed to compile just fine but when you try to execute it it dies
> with the message -
>
> nagios: Cannot find ELF
> Killed
>
> Other ELF binaries on the system work fine.

Doing a quick check on google, I noticed that there are a few things
that come up where it looks like using strip(1) on binaries causes this
problem.

I'm just finishing up building apache and mod_perl on the following
environment:

steeves::frigidaire [20:28] > gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.2/specs
Configured with: ../configure --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as
--with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --disable-nls
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.2
steeves::frigidaire [20:28] > uname -a
SunOS frigidaire 5.8 Generic_108528-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R

--
Michael Steeves                       |  Phone:  617-444-6100
michael_steeves at vrtx.com              |  Fax:    617-444-6680