Advice needed on hostgroups and notifications

White, Chad (MED) chad.white at med.ge.com
Mon Apr 14 00:12:02 CEST 2003

I am almost there on our sites configuration of Nagios but I am at a
point where I might like a little advice.

In my situation, there is a group of sysadmins that need to get all
notifications because we are ultimately responsible for all the hosts
that are monitored by Nagios.  However, there are other groups (DBAs,
etc.) that we would like to also get all the notifications that come
from certain hosts that are important to those particular users.
Obviously, this is possible using the notification options in the
service definitions.

However, to keep my config files under control, I have up to this point
used "all-inclusive" hostgroups in my service definitions whenever
possible.  For example, I have a hostgroup for all Solaris machines.
Because those machines all get the same checks run on them, I have
always just used those big general groups in my service definitions.  I
really like this setup because it keeps the config files under control
and makes adding/removing of hosts to Nagios much easier, because I
don't have to modify a bunch of service definitions.

Now, this is causing me problems.  I still want the "sysadmin" group to
get all the notifications; but for just certain servers, I want
"dbateam" to get the notifications too.  I tried making a hostgroup that
contained all the servers that the "dbateam" would care about, and
assigning the "dbateam" as contact group.  That worked great for the web
interface (they see all the right servers) but notifications still only
get sent to the groups listed in the service definition.

I've tried removing the contact_groups option from the service
definition, to see if it would pick up the one in the hostgroup
definition, but that didn't seem to work.  Any other ideas?  I really
want to avoid having to make a ton of tiny hostgroups, as that would
make maintenance of the config files a royal pain when we add/remove
hosts...

thx,
Chad