Unpredictable service check times fixed?

Michael Durket durket at stanford.edu
Sun Apr 13 06:03:01 CEST 2003

Hello,

   We're looking at using Nagios as a replacement for SiteScope, but have run
into a problem that's been pointed out on this list (with no apparent solution
as yet that I can find after searching the archives).

   The problem is that the scheduling list appears to lockup. Service checks which are
supposed to be scheduled every 10 minutes don't get scheduled for hours, and one
can look at the scheduler list via the extinfo CGI and see that the list still
has entries in it for times long since passed.

   Needless to say, this is a severe problem which makes Nagios virtually unusable
for large scale monitoring. This problem doesn't appear to be the 'orphaned process'
problem that's been cited occasionally in this list. It seems to be more of a
scheduler fault. I know that Nagios is used to monitor installations larger than
ours (we need to monitor about 500 services and ~50 - 100 hosts) so I hope this
has been solved by somebody.

   Does anyone know if a) this has been fixed, or b) if there's a way in Nagios to
override the scheduler's randomizing of service check times, and force service checks
to occur on schedule at the intervals specified in the individual service entries
(in our case, every 10 minutes, for example).

   Thanks very much,

   Michael Durket