Monitoring services that span hosts?

Benjamin Feen benjy at feen.com
Fri Apr 11 22:31:31 CEST 2003

> > Now, there's a whole three-tier architecture behind these URLs:
> > web01 web02 web03
> > app01 app02 app03
> >    db01  db01

> If the custom plugin checks the entire transaction - it should be a
> service for the front end web server.

Ah, but there's the problem: the check is being transparently load-balanced.
It could be hitting any of the webservers, and that's fine with me -- what
I'm checking is whether it works *at all*.

So:  sounds like I *must* associate this check with some actual host?
Can I create a dummy host with a null host check command to act as a container
for this kind of check?

What if I were monitoring the ambient temperature of my bedroom?
What host would that check be associated with?  Just associating
it with the Nagios host seems so messy...

--
Benjamin Feen
benjamin(AT)feen.com