custom plugin problem.

Jeff McKeon jsm at inpro.net
Fri Apr 11 22:23:32 CEST 2003

hello all,

I've got 5 UPS's all connected to my Nagios server via an 8 port serial
card.  Currently I have 5 check_ups services running to check all the
ups's  That's fine but I was thinking if I got it down to one pluggin
that could check all 5 at once, it would cut down on the services
overhead.

so I wrote this script... "check_all_ups1"  (no laughing at my scripting
ability, I never claimed to be a programmer :oP )

#! /bin/sh

UPS01=`/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ups -H localhost -u ups0-1 -v
BATTPCT -w 99 -c 98`
UPS11=`/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ups -H localhost -u ups1-1 -v
BATTPCT -w 99 -c 98`
UPS12=`/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ups -H localhost -u ups1-2 -v
BATTPCT -w 99 -c 98`
UPS21=`/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ups -H localhost -u ups2-1 -v
BATTPCT -w 99 -c 98`
UPS22=`/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ups -H localhost -u ups2-2 -v
BATTPCT -w 99 -c 98`

echo "UPS0-1 $UPS01" > ups.status
echo "UPS1-1 $UPS11" >> ups.status
echo "UPS1-2 $UPS12" >> ups.status
echo "UPS2-1 $UPS21" >> ups.status
echo "UPS2-2 $UPS22" >> ups.status

numbad=`grep -c problem ups.status`
badups=`grep problem ups.status`

if [    $numbad -ge 1 ]; then
        echo "CRITICAL: $numbad CK UPS's have switched to battery power"
        exit 1;
fi

echo "OK: All UPS's on-line"
exit 0;

If I run it from the command line it works great.  If I run it in nagios
though, it only ever returns a status of OK, even when the normal
check_ups pluggin is showing critical.

What did I screw up here or is it just not possible to use a script as a
pluggin?

thanks,

jeff