Monitoring services that span hosts?

Benjamin Feen benjy at feen.com
Thu Apr 10 23:51:43 CEST 2003

Greetings all,

Let's say I have a set of URLs:

http://foo.feen.com/bar
http://foo.feen.com/yay
http://foo.feen.com/qaz
(these are bogus URLs)

These URLs serve up a web application which I'll be monitoring with
a custom plugin that logs in and performs a dummy transaction to
verify that the site works.

Now, there's a whole three-tier architecture behind these URLs:
web01 web02 web03
app01 app02 app03
   db01  db01

As I understand Nagios, every service must live on a host.  So: how
do I implement these checks, if they don't really live on any one
host?

Thanks!
Benjamin

--