Oracle Monitoring

Tom DE BLENDE Tom.DeBlende at dhl.com
Thu Apr 10 09:19:05 CEST 2003

Jeremy Russell wrote:

> There is no specific plugin for MS-SQL, but using something like the NSclient and snmp you could probably check to see if its at least running as a service, and then hit the tcp port to see if its active on the network.

<snap>

Up until SQL Server 7, Microsoft officially supported Sybase client
software. So you could download the Sybase client, and connect to MS
SQL. With TDS version 8.0 (and legacy support for version 7.0) in SQL
2000, compatibility with Sybase client was broken. However, you can
use the Freetds libraries instead.

So here's what I've done to have a way to connect to both SQL 7 and
SQL 2000:

1) Download and install freetds from http://www.freetds.org.
2) Download and install sqsh from http://www.sqsh.org.
3) export SYBASE=/usr/local/freetds (or where ever your freetds is
installed)

Now you can use sqsh to connect to your MS SQL:

sqsh -S servername -U username

You're now ready to script your own plugins based on the output you
get from your queries. Works great.

If someone is really interested to write a Perl plugin, you can find
more info on http://www.whirlycott.com/phil/dbdsybase/ on how to use a
Perl module for this (DBD::Sybase). This paper is written for SQL 7
and the Sybase libraries. But with the info I gave above, it should be
possible to use SQL 2000 with the freetds libraries as well.

I'll try again to add this to the FAQ's, as my previous attempt
failed...

For internal use I've written a few Bash plugins that check whether:

1) all Maintenance plans (backups, integrity checks,...) on an MS SQL
server have succeeded.
2) no processes are being deadlocked.
3) no backup processes are running during production hours.
4) no DBCC is running during production hours.

I personally don't think these are such a big deal and rather Linux
(Bash) specific, so I haven't posted them in the contrib...