Help with odd message.

Strng Phisch rhltechie at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 19:31:33 CEST 2003

Hi All-

I have browsed through the archives and could not find
anything on what I am experiencing.  I hope posting
this problem is ok.  I have spent 3 days setting up
nagios, trying to make sure everything was right, it
is a very tough program to get installed!  Well I
though I finally got it.  I did a "pre-flight" check
and everything came back ok.  I go to start nagios and
I receive this:

Warning:  Cannot open log file
'/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log' for writing
Error:  Failed to grab configuration information for
retention data

I used all of the defaults, this is where the file
exists and is there.  The odd thing is when i open the
log file it has several lines in it that state that
nagios is starting.  Any ideas??

TIA,