Warning: Monitoring process may not be running! Error...

Dr Patrick Atlas patrick.atlas at mg-france.fr
Wed Apr 9 10:42:16 CEST 2003

Here is the solution which fixed the problem, sent by Dwan Norwood:

"My assumption is that you're running Nagios on a Linux system, and that
you've recently updated your linux kernel.

The new version of the kernel changes the way that daemonized processes are
display with ps. Now they appear to be enclosed in []. E.g.,

   lp     877   1 0 17:52 ? 00:00:00 [lpd]
   nobody 972 949 0 17:52 ? 00:00:00 [httpd]

In the past ps would show the nagios process as:

   /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -d

Now it is displayed as: [nagios]
Example:
   nagios 1102 1 0 17:52 ? 00:00:00 [nagios]

Your check_nagios command (in the cgi.cfg) looks for the process string
returned from ps. Your current configuration probably looks like this:

   nagios_check_command=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nagios
/usr/local/nagios/var/status.log 30 '/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios'

So, change the configuration entry to look like this:

   nagios_check_command=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nagios
/usr/local/nagios/var/status.log 30 '[nagios]'
"

Thanks to Dwan
Our Nagios is running on a linux, I updated the kernel 2 days ago.

Patrick Atlas