Escalations result in delayed notification

Thomas Stocking tstocking at insynccom.com
Mon Apr 7 16:45:19 CEST 2003

Hi all,
Posted a similar message last month. Guess not many of us use escalations...

Looks to me like Nagios 1.0 has some anomalous behavior when service
escalations are used.
My testing was with Nagios 1.0 on RedHat 8.0. Noted similar (but not
identical) behavior on Nagios 1.0b6 and RH 7.3, but that was not a
controlled environment.
I compiled Nagios with all default options. I didn't fiddle with any of the
timing options - basically a vanilla install.
No runaway CPU or other issues - tried it on two machines.

Summary of behavior:
Setting the notification interval (in escalations.cfg) does not always
result in notifications being sent out at the stated intervals.
Setting the normal_check_interval (in services.cfg) to 1 minute fixes it -
i.e. the notifications go out on time.
Here's a table of some experiments I ran and the results (nearly all to the
second):

normal_check_interval		1	2	2	5	9	8
(services.cfg)

notification_interval		3	3	5	3	10	10
(escalations.cfg)

Resulting notification		3	4	6	5	18	16
separation times

So there seems to be some relationship between the normal_check_interval and
the time the escalation notifications go out.
The same behavior does not seem to be manifested when escalations are not
used.

If anyone has some insight as to how I can work around this issue, I'd
appreciate it. I don't think checking the services once a minute is a
practical solution. I'm continuing the experimentation to find some
workable, predictable settings, and if I do find them, I'll let the group
know.

	Thanks!

Thomas Stocking