Solaris Compilation Tool Chain

Andre Dalle adalle at ncf.ca
Fri Apr 4 19:49:47 CEST 2003

Well, I'd check blastwave.org.

They have gcc packages as well as the GNU suite of utilities
(sed/grep/awk/make/etc.) which you would need to compile most opensource.

There are also Nagios packages for Solaris 8.

Check for "CSWnagios" and "CSWnagiosp" in the package listing.

Checkout http://blastwave.org/ - you can get the "pkg-get" utility which may
facilitate package retrieval and installation if you are new to Solaris.

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 10:54:24AM -0500, chbaker at powersystems.rockwell.com wrote:
> Now that I have thoroughly embarrassed myself w/ typos in my config files,
> I would like to ask a question that may be beyond the scope of this list.
> My
> question is what in general do I need to install on a Solaris8/Sparc server
> to compile nagios? I am much more familiar with and accustomed to the
> Linux environment than Solaris. As an example, a find command on a newly
> installed Solaris8 box, default install, only turns up ``cc'' in
> /usr/ucb/cc and
> of course, ``gcc'' is not installed at all. I am familiar w/
> sunfreeware.com and
> imagine I can pick up all I need there. Any tips and suggestions would be
> appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Charles H. Baker
> chbaker at powersystems dot rockwell dot com
> work: 864.281.2409 fax: 864.281.2487 cell: 864.363.5302
> BOFH excuse #207:
> We are currently trying a new concept of using a live mouse.
> Unfortunately, one has yet to survive being hooked up to the
> computer.....please bear with us.

Andre Dalle                     [adalle at ncf.ca]
Systems Administrator,
National Capital Freenet        [http://www.ncf.ca]