Default Contacts for Host Definitions

Aaltonen, Jaakko j.aaltonen at contrigo.de
Fri Apr 4 14:22:45 CEST 2003

Hi there,
We've been using (testing...) nagios for some weeks now, and we encountered several problems regarding notification destinations and mapping between hosts and contact-groups. Our problem is that administrators are not Service- but OS-specific; in the first place, these are windows or linux administrators. So, windows administrators are responsible for all services on windows boxes, as linux administrators are responsible for all kinds of problems with linux-boxes (and their services). But both on windows and linux servers there are equal services, smtp for example. In our current nagios configuration, we have to define contact groups for services, so that we have different services for different operating systems at the moment (smtp-linux and smtp-windows). My suggestion would be to implement the "contact_groups" directive in host object definitions, and to notify those contact-groups of service-related events if there are no contacts specified in the correspondent service definition. As I think this is not implemented at the moment, this mail should probably go to nagios-devel mailing list, but for some reason it seems obvious that other nagios-users should have the same problems. If anybody has a working solution or workaround for this problem, i would be glad to receive any response.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Jaakko Aaltonen
Administration - Support - Programmierung

contrigo GmbH
Am Hessentuch 4
32758 Detmold

Fon:	 05231.94404-00	 Fax:	 05231.94404-01