Indirect host/service checks?

Christopher Kalos ckalos at esaya.com
Thu Apr 3 22:08:29 CEST 2003

For various reasons, we run our nagios server from a different site than the
rest of our systems.  This is mostly to make sure that all the hosts are
externally accessible, but it's not a perfect system.

We have a few systems at the remote site that do not have external IP
addresses at all, and are therefore inaccessible to the nagios server.
However, we can use other systems as indirect servers without much trouble,
and I've already nested nrpe to do this in the past.  It's a bit ugly,
though, as alerts are generated as though there's a problem on the nrpe host
as opposed to the internal system.

Is there a way to make this work such that an indirected service check will
return the status with a host ID other than that of the parent host?  While
I ultimately plan on just adding a monitoring server to the remote location
and distributing all monitoring work between both servers, that's a few
months off, and therefore not a viable solution at the moment.

Thanks in advance,
Christopher Kalos