Web interface php

Tom DE BLENDE Tom.DeBlende at dhl.com
Thu Apr 3 11:51:44 CEST 2003

wait for version 3.0:

http://www.nagios.org/upcoming.php

PHP Interface To Replace CGIs

                  I had originally planned on modifying the CGIs in
2.0 to make use of FastCGI to make them a bit speedier,
                  but I am dumping that plan. Why? I am sick of the
CGIs and plan on redoing the entire web interface in PHP.

                  Some of the reasons I'm moving to PHP include:

                       Hardcoded HTML in the CGIs requires a recompile
to make changes to the interface, PHP should be
                       much easier
                       Many of the current CGIs suck as far as the UI
is concerned (UI design is not my thing). A PHP
                       interface will hopefully lure more people into
helping make a better looking interface.
                       Session state is much easier to track using
PHP. The current CGIs would require a lot of work to
                       incorporate sessions.

                  No doubt a move to PHP is going to require a lot of
work. I put a lot of time into the current CGIs and do not
                  relish the idea of rewriting them. However, I think
it needs to be done.

                  On a side note, a lot of people seem to think that a
"pretty" interface means that the software sucks as far
                  as features/stability goes. I don't think this is
the case with Nagios - a lot of work has been put into the main
                  daemon. Besides, some people (like IT managers, CIOs
and myself) like a decent looking interface. :-)