Notifications by e-mail

Tom DE BLENDE Tom.DeBlende at dhl.com
Thu Apr 3 09:23:40 CEST 2003

OK, so here's what I think is the best solution if Sendmail really is
a problem (even when only accepting connections from 127.0.0.1). Use
the only SMTP server that is available in your company. Instead of
sending the mail to a local MTA, I suggest using a MUA that allows the
usage of a remote SMTP server.

This being said, I can advise you to use Pine. In your Pine config,
you can specify what SMTP server to use. However, native Pine cannot
be run in CLI mode. Therefor you need to patch it first with the patch
you can find at
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/info/outgoing.html, and
then recompile it.

Afterwards just su to the user Nagios runs as, and fill out the
"smtp-server              = <No Value Set> " in the Pine config.

Test if it works by sending a normal CLI email when your sendmail is
not running:

echo "boo !" | pine -I ^X,y -subject "Test" your.email at dhl.com

If that works, change your email notification commands to use Pine
instead of mail.

Hope this helps.