check_nagios can't find running process

Earl C. Ruby III earl at switchmanagement.com
Thu Apr 3 03:31:19 CEST 2003

I'm having a similar problem. I'm using check_nagios from the latest RPM of
plug-ins (nagios-1.0.tar.gz & nagios-plugins-1.3.0-1.i386.rpm), and updated
the cgi.cfg file to match the syntax used by the script.

From cgi.cfg:

nagios_check_command=/usr/lib/nagios/check_nagios -F
/usr/local/nagios/var/status.log -e 5 -C /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios

From the command line:

# sudo -u nagios ./check_nagios -F /usr/local/nagios/var/status.log -e 5 -C
/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios
Nagios ok: located 1 process, status log updated 1 second ago

As you can see, the check_nagios script says that Nagios is running just fine
when I run it from the command line. However, the web interface shows
"Warning: Monitoring process may not be running! Click here for more info."
and "It appears as though Nagios is not running, so commands are temporarily
unavailable... Click here to view Nagios process information." When I click
to view the process information it appears to be normal.

--
Earl C. Ruby III <earl at switchmanagement.com>
Senior System Engineer / Developer