Apan and Nagios....No perf-definition for service

Fredrik Wänglund fredrik.wanglund at datavis.se
Tue Apr 1 08:16:58 CEST 2003

To clarify this, consider you have the following service-definition in
Nagios:

define service {
host_name                      barbar
service_description            Pinga
check_command                  apan!ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
use                            generic-service
normal_check_interval          1
}

When Apan is called by Nagios it's fed with theses arguments:

ping - Plugin-name, the name of the Apan-plugin to be run
barbar - Host-name, the name of the host
Pinga - Service-description, the name of the service in Nagios
1049177512 - Timestamp, the actual time in seconds since jan 01, 1970
100.0,20% 500.0,60% - Plugin-Arguments, the 3rd, 4th and 5th argument of
the check_command in Nagios

The first thing Apan does then is to find a row in apan.cfg that begins
with <Host-name>;<Service-description>; (barbar;Pinga;).
If it cant't find this row (It's case-sensitive), then the error 'No
perf-definition for service' is returned.

Next step in Apan is to call the plugin (ping). If the plugin-name is
invalid, then the error 'Unknown Perf-service: <name>' is returned.

Simple.. Eh??

/FredrikW