nrpe questions

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Tue Apr 1 04:45:09 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 12:48, Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] wrote:
> If it's an option, why not set up a null passphrase for ssh for nagios
> itself?  That way, you don't need to pass the passphrase to
> check_by_ssh.
>
> jc

FWIW, when I wrote it I made no provision to pass any such thing on the
command line. You cannot depend on any such construct being secure from
an ordinary user.

You can, however, ensure that your filesystem permissions do keep an
ordinary user fron viewing the private key owned by the nagios user.
Thus, the intended mode of operation is to use secured, passpharseless
keys.

Short of using 'expect' or a similar mechanism, I do not know of a way
to securely provide a passphrase to check_by_ssh. I consider expect in
this case to provide a minimal increment of security (in that it still
all comes down to how well you protect your files from intruders) but a
major increase in administrative work. Thus I have not made any
provisions to support it.

If you do know of portable and secure way to pass in a pasphrase, I
would be willing to consider it. But failing that, the answer is no,
there are no provisions for providing a passphrase, and any way that you
find to do so would be accidental.

--
Karl