syslog functionality

Bishop, Dean dean.bishop at tcdsb.org
Fri Sep 27 14:20:08 CEST 2002

Nagios doesn't have this ability directly.  i have been using swatch and
jamming the result through a perl script and into the external command file.

This project that you are considering sounds interesting.  One suggestion:
try to develop it so that it can either stand on it's own or be added to
Nagios.  More people would get use of it.

If it had a web front end, then adding the colour-coded entries would be as
simple as adding a link to the Nagios site.  Then all you would have to do
is find a way to get the syslog entries of interest into nagios.  If it uses
the external command file, it could stand alone.

What sort of clients are you looking to monitor?  Is Win* included?  There
are quite a few people looking for a good way to add this to Nagios.

my 2cents.  keep the change :)

dean