Confusion re: std. check_disk plugin

John Fox jjf at mind.net
Fri Sep 20 21:00:21 CEST 2002

Hello, Folks,

Confusion once again reigns.  I'm fiddling with the check_disk
plugin and find myself baffled.  For purposes of testing, I wanted
to have 50% disk space utilization cause a 'warning' state, and 55%
utilization cause a 'critical' state.  However, I appear to be doing
something incorrectly:

| $ plugins/check_disk -w 50% -c 55% -p /
| INPUT ERROR: C_DFP (55.000000) should be less than W_DFP (50.000000) and \
| both should be between zero and 100 percent, inclusive

Warning percentage, it seems to me, should be lower than critical percentage,
and these comments from the source code appear to bear that thought out:

| * $Id: check_disk.c,v 1.2 2002/06/06 04:15:49 sghosh Exp $
| *
| *
| * This plugin will use the /bin/df command to check the free space on
| * currently mounted filesystems.  If the percent used disk space is
| * above <c_dfp>, a STATE_CRITICAL is returned.  If the percent used
| * disk space is above <w_dfp>, a STATE_WARNING is returned.

I suspect I'm being a dummy, but have no idea what concept I'm failing
to grasp.  Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John
| John Fox <jjf at mind.net> | System Administrator | Internet Ventures Oregon |