Eventhandlers and SUDO

twebster at daksoft.com twebster at daksoft.com
Fri Sep 20 19:03:55 CEST 2002

I just tested "nagios ALL=(root) /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail" and still the
same thing.

My process of testing,
      1. Start Nagios
      2. Stop Sendmail
      3. Force service check of sendmail server
      4. Watch log

Below are the log messages I receive.

*comment* below you can see from my restart-sendmail the various commands I
have tried

                        echo -n "Restarting Sendmail service (3rd soft
critical state)..."
                        # Call the init script to restart the sendmail
server
                        sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail restart
#                       sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail stop
#                       sleep 5
#                       sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail start
                        ;;
                        esac

/var/log/messages
Sep 20 08:49:49 localhost nagios: SERVICE ALERT:
ACTIVE;SMTP;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;Connection refused by host
Sep 20 08:49:49 localhost nagios: SERVICE EVENT HANDLER:
ACTIVE;SMTP;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;restart-sendmail
Sep 20 08:49:49 localhost sendmail: sendmail shutdown failed
*comment* note nagios ran the restart-sendmail, but stopped running it
after the sendmail stop command failed.

/var/log/secure
Sep 20 08:49:49 localhost sudo:   nagios : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root
; COMMAND=/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail restart

/var/log/nagios/nagios.log
[1032533378] EXTERNAL COMMAND:
SCHEDULE_FORCED_SVC_CHECK;ACTIVE;SMTP;1032533377
[1032533389] SERVICE ALERT: ACTIVE;SMTP;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;Connection refused
by host
[1032533389] SERVICE EVENT HANDLER:
ACTIVE;SMTP;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;restart-sendmail

*comment* Example of running command outside of nagios eventhandler
[root at tux1 log]# su nagios
[nagios at tux1 log]$ sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail restart
Shutting down sendmail:                                    [FAILED]
Starting sendmail:                                         [  OK  ]
[nagios at tux1 log]$

/etc/sudoers
nagios  ALL = (root) NOPASSWD: /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail

Tony

|---------+-------------------------------->
|         |           "Jolet, John"        |
|         |           <John.Jolet at misysheal|
|         |           thcare.com>          |
|         |           09/20/2002 09:59 AM  |
  |       To:       "'twebster at daksoft.com'" <twebster at daksoft.com>                                                              |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  RE: [Nagios-users] Eventhandlers and SUDO                                                                    |

well, have you tried "nagios ALL=(root) /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail" ?