SAMBA messages and Nagios

Greg Vickers g.vickers at qut.edu.au
Fri Sep 20 01:49:05 CEST 2002

Thanks Bastiaan and everyone else who replied.

When I said other versions, I meant TNG-Samba :) and I got a reply from one
of the developers with a patch to send winpopup messages to a user! Woohoo!

Greg

At 23:12 19/09/2002, Bastiaan van den Berg wrote:
> > This ability is missing in my version of Samba (and doesn't appear to be
> > implemented in newer versions of Samba) and I was wondering if someone
> > knows of a method of doing this under Linux?
>
>looks like you did some very excellent investigating ;P
>
>Usage: smbclient service <password> [options]
>Version 2.2.4
>         -M host               send a winpopup message to the host
>
>if you need it per user , just use nmblookup over all yr hosts 2 find
>out were the user is logged on

Greg Vickers
Computer Systems Officer
Student Support and Systems
Teaching and Learning Support Systems, QUT
Kelvin Grove Campus, CRICOS No 00213J

Ph: 07 3864 8276 Fax: 07 3864 5425
Mob: 0416 001 674 SD: x6147