Host Group Notifications - Possible display suppression?

Nolan Martin Nolan.Martin at co.travis.tx.us
Thu Sep 19 23:27:28 CEST 2002

I had not considered using escalations...  I had wondered about the
possibility of using event handlers.  However, based on my (admittedly)
cursory look at event handlers, it seems using event handlers would
bypass the usual system of notification time periods and eliminate the
potential restrictions/filtering based on those periods.

At this point I am only concerned about the notifications part.  I will
take a look at the escalations.

In terms of a feature request... would others like to weigh in on
whether or not this would be equally beneficial in their environment?

Nolan

>>> Darren Gamble <Darren.Gamble at sjrb.ca> 09/19/02 03:54PM >>>
Good day,

> The problem I have is how to handle notifications for devices that
> belong to another department.  I only want the department admins to
> receive specific notifications for their devices.  As such, I
> can't just
> simply add them as a contact groups for the overall host group of
> NetWare servers (for example).  I understand I can create additional
> host groups and assign the hosts to more than one group.
>
> But...  if I go that route, I will then have a whole range of host
> groups displayed on each console.  I am happy with my major
groupings
> and don't want to clutter the console with individual department
> groupings as well.

Alas, that's probably the best way to do it, which is similar to what I
do.
If you don't want the host groups to clutter up your display, you may
want
to prefix the name of your host groups in a way that makes them appear
together (i.e. your "host type" host groups first and then your "the
same
people admin us" groups second) .  I don't believe there is any way to
suppress the display of a group outright.  Feature request?  It
probably
won't be too hard to code yourself.

Alternatively, if your server admins never need access to the .cgi
programs
(i.e. they only care about the e-mail notifications), you could
instead
leave your groups as they are, and instead use host and service
escalations
to independently control who's notified for what.  Check the docco for
more
information on those.

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services