realistic system requirements and capacity

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Wed Sep 18 20:58:18 CEST 2002

I'm utilizing a distributed setup and my most heavily loaded data
collector is monitoring PING service on 592 hosts.  It easily completes
all the checks within 5 minutes with minimal load on the server. That
machines is also running Smokeping and Cricket for the same number of
hosts. My data collector machines are PIII 800's with 512MB Ram. Another
data collector which is doing significantly more varied service checks
(ping, http, ntp, dns, smtp, practically the whole gamut along with
several custom plugins we use; 440 services on 206 hosts) is exhibiting
the same performance. Average check execution time is 4.389 seconds and
average check latency is 0.226 seconds. This machine is again also
running Cricket and Smokeping for the same hosts. Not even breaking a
sweat. I feel that I can scale this up 2x or higher on the same
hardware. My only challenge right now is the 4K size of the named pipe
on my central Nagios server and the fact that Nagios doesn't check it
often enough, even with command_check_interval=-1. I'll have periods
when I have 2000+ nsca processes waiting to write to the pipe.

--
Marc