Service checks not being executed

Darren Gamble Darren.Gamble at sjrb.ca
Tue Sep 17 18:04:54 CEST 2002

Good day,

Awhile ago, I posted an intermittent problem with Nagios not executing its
service checks.  At least one other user did as well.

To quickly summarize, when the problem occurs, Nagios still properly
schedules services for checks- it just doesn't execute them.

I noticed something yesterday that caused Nagios to do this.  I don't
believe that this was the same cause as before, but, it's a cause,
nonetheless.

We had an ACL change yesterday that caused a handful of our devices to
refuse any checks from the Nagios machine, including ICMP.  We have Nagios
configured to retry its host check for about two minutes (12 x 10s).  During
the time that it was retrying all of the host checks, no other service
checks were being performed (!?).  Essentially, Nagios was checking only a
tiny percentage of its services for about a half hour.

I presume that this behavior isn't desired.  Is this a bug?

Red Hat 7.2, Intel, running a late 1.0b4 version of Nagios.

Thanks in advance,

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP