check_smtp and check_imap issues

Nathan Hill cmsu_tech2 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 16 18:17:34 CEST 2002

Hello

I am having some issues with the check_smtp and the
check_imap plugins.  I am running an imap server on a
Red Hat 7.2 server.  The definition in the
checkcommands.cfg file is:

# 'check_imap' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_imap
        command_line    $USER$/check_imap -H
$HOSTADDRESS$ -e 220 cmsu2
        }

When I run the command external to nagios to test it
against the imap server, I get a response of IMAP ok.
When I enable the service in nagios, it will not work
and gives me the error (Return code of 127 is out of
bounds - plugin may be missing).  I know the plugin is
there and in the correct directory.

I am getting the same issue on my smtp server.  I'm
not sure whether it will make a difference, but my
smtp server is Novell Groupwise 5.5.  It's
checkcommands.cfg entry is:

# 'check_mail' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_mail
        command_line    $USER$/check_smtp -H
$HOSTADDRESS$ -p 25 -e 220 smtp.server.address
        }

Does anyone have any ideas on these issues?

Thanks,

Nathan Hill