nagios breaks with strict.pm error after up2date on Red Hat 7.1

Oliver Thieke thieke at tagesspiegel.de
Mon Sep 16 18:11:59 CEST 2002

Hi Petar,

 > The error message refers to strict.pm but the line in p1.pl (nagios)
 > does not refer to strict.pm but 'use strict' which is not a module.

Well, maybe I miss some tricky detail but according to my present
limited wisdom the PERL line

    use strict;

calls the module strict.pm (and includes all its exported variables,
functions,...).

To quote the docu "perlmodlib":

    "THE PERL MODULE LIBRARY
     Many modules are included the Perl distribution. These are described
below,
     and all end in .pm.
     (...)
     Pragmatic Modules
     They work somewhat like compiler directives (pragmata) in that they tend
     to affect the compilation of your program, (...)
     The following pragmas are defined (and have their own documentation).
     (...)
     strict
     Restrict unsafe constructs"

And the module docu provides:

    "NAME
        strict - Perl pragma to restrict unsafe constructs

     SUPPORTED PLATFORMS
        Linux
        Solaris
        Windows

     SYNOPSIS
        use strict;
        use strict "vars";
        use strict "refs";
        use strict "subs";

     (...)"

Therefor I still assume some screwed up installation or
execution environment....

 > I would have through the correct line would be 'use Strict.pm;'
 > instead of 'use strict;' if the module was the issue.

Nope - see above.

HTH

Oliver