Monitors on Solaris (Nagios, MON) - which one 2 choose

Allen S. Firstenberg prisoner at addventure.com
Wed Sep 11 21:40:59 CEST 2002

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 07:04:53PM +0200, Oliver Thieke wrote:

> MON seems to be easier to install and configure.

Odly enough, I thought just the opposite when I was doing my evaluation.
MON seemed easier, but the instructions were incomplete and
left many unanswered questions.  (I don't remember all of them,
just reading off my notes from the time.)

> Furthermore
> it's all written in PERL, a language I'm quite familiar with.

That was my first thought - but then I found that parts of it
required compilation.  One of the unanswered questions from the
documentation was "why".

> But Nagios seems to be much harder to install (must compile)
> and to configure.

The configuration for Nagios seems more complex, but I found
the manual very clear on this point, while the MON manual was not
very clear at all.

> Finally I MUST write some custom monitors (checks) and this
> seems to be easier (and better documented) in MON.

I haevn't tried this yet in Nagios, but plan to.  Plug-ins/monitors
are separately executable programs - so you can feel free to write
this in perl or whatever you wish.  Nagios uses the return code and
output to stdout in its status checking.