Status Information Field

Jason Marshall jasonm at kelman.com
Wed Sep 11 00:17:26 CEST 2002

> #define MAX_PLUGINOUTPUT_LENGTH                 352     /* max. length of
> plugin
>  output */
>
> you could try upping that a bit, but it will probably introduce all sorts of
> nasty security holes.

You don't want to do this in Linux.  I do it in my Solaris nagios
installation because it's safe to bump it up.

The reason for the limit is there is a 512-byte limit in atomic operations
on names pipes in Linux.  In other words, 512 bytes is the most you can
read or write from or to a pipe with a GUARANTEE that the data will not be
interleaved with other reads/writes. This is critical when passing as much
information, and as often as Nagios does.

Solaris has a similar limit, but it's 5120-bytes.

I can fit this nice long status into my plugin output, for instance (see
attachment (sorry for the binary post -- it's tiny)...