New question

Jason Marshall jasonm at kelman.com
Fri Sep 6 17:21:05 CEST 2002

> Is there another linker to use besides Sun's?  I found
> an ld in these places:
>
> /usr/lib/ld

That's a directory.

> /usr/ccs/bin/ld

This is the one most people use.

> /usr/ccs/bin/sparcv9/ld

This is the 64-bit version of the one above -- transparently used on
64-bit machines, no need to call it specifically.

> /usr/ucb/ld

This is a wrapper script that calls /usr/ccs/bin after defining
LD_RUN_PATH for olde-fashioned SunOS 4.x compatibility mode.  NOT
recommended unless you need it for some strange reason.

Seriously, the one in /usr/ccs/bin will do what you need it to do, and the
only better one might be that one that comes in the SUNWspro packages,
which aren't free or included with Solaris...

> Would the one in /usr/lib or /usr/ucb be better than
> the one in /usr/ccs/bin or /usr/ccs/bin/sparcv9?

> --- Jason Marshall <jasonm at kelman.com> wrote:
> > Sun's ld uses different flags than Linux's, which is
> > what Boutell seems to
> > have crafted his Makefile(s) for...  Or maybe it's
> > just that Sun's ld is
> > different from everyone else's... *8-).
> >
> > It's parsing -shared as if it were -s -h -a -r -e
> > -d, and whining about
> > the -h part...
> >
> > I think last time I did this, I gave up on making
> > the shared lib and just
> > linked things with the .a that's much easier to
> > create (as I recall).
> >
> > > Yes, I'm running Solaris 8 and got the programs
> > from
> > > sunfreeware.  The png I've got right now is source
> > > downloaded from the libpng URL.  I got the libpng
> > > compiled just fine.  Now I can't get the gd to
> > > compile.  See the following:
> > >
> > > ld -shared -o libgd.so.2.0.0 gd.o gd_gd.o gd_gd2.o
> > > gd_io.o gd_io_dp.o  gd_io_file.o gd_ss.o
> > gd_io_ss.o
> > > gd_png.o gd_jpeg.o gdxpm.o  gdfontt.o gdfonts.o
> > > gdfontmb.o gdfontl.o gdfontg.o  gdtables.o gdft.o
> > > gdcache.o gdkanji.o wbmp.o  gd_wbmp.o gdhelpers.o
> > > gd_topal.o
> > > ld: fatal: option -h and building a dynamic
> > executable
> > > are incompatible
> > > ld: fatal: Flags processing errors
> > > *** Error code 1
> > > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
> > > `libgd.so.2.0.0'
> > >
> > > Now what?
> > package

> > (same

> > be

> > with
> > with
> > libpng

> > -Edgar

> > > Yahoo! Finance - Get real-time stock quotes
> > > http://finance.yahoo.com

> > ---
> > Jason Marshall, Unix Geek, Kelman Technologies,
> > Inc., Calgary, AB, Canada.
> >
> >   From a Sun Microsystems bug report (#4102680):
> >     "Workaround: don't pound on the mouse like a
> > wild monkey."
> >
> >   "I have great faith in fools:
> >      Self confidence my friends call it."  -Edgar
> > Allan Poe

---
Jason Marshall, Unix Geek, Kelman Technologies, Inc., Calgary, AB, Canada.

  From a Sun Microsystems bug report (#4102680):