Configuration files

Carroll, Jim P jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Thu Sep 5 02:17:50 CEST 2002

I know what Garrett's talking about.

When you first install Nagios and try to start it, it gripes about various
inconsistencies in the config files.

Garrett, make backups of all the config files.  Then (with the exception of
cgi.cfg and nagios.cfg), step through your config files, commenting out the
definitions which clearly don't pertain to your situation.  In particular,
look at hosts.cfg, services.cfg, hostgroups.cfg, contacts.cfg,
contactgroups.cfg and strip away (or better yet, comment out) all the
definitions which initially don't interest you.  RECOMMENDATION:  Don't
comment out the unregistered templates.

Also, don't let the errors from the sanity check discourage you.  Take a
closer look at the output; it tells you exactly which element(s) of Nagios'
configuration is/are inconsistent.  Sure, it's overwhelming the first time
you fire it up, but take the time to dissect it.  It's actually not a bad
exercise to look at the first line of output from the sanity check and
ferret out that particular element (e.g., host definition) and correct it,
attempt another sanity check, get config errors, correct another one...
wash, rinse, repeat.  Better to do it now while you're still in R&D mode,
than after you've become dependant on it, made an innocuous change, and end
up making a few other shoot-from-the-hip changes (based on lack of
experience) which only makes the situation worse.  You *don't* want to be
learning the basics about the product after it becomes critical to your
success.

Also, keep it simple; stick with monitoring network services initially
(HTTP, ssh, telnet, ftp, whatever...), because once you decide you want to
monitor cpu/disk/memory/etc of the client hosts, you'll have to decide to
use NSCA and/or NRPE and/or other options.  Implementing just one of those
will be another subproject unto itself, and if you haven't got the basics of
Nagios figured out, you won't be a happy camper.

Anyway... you're closer to success than you think.  Keep going; you've
almost got a basic "I can ping one host" configuration ready!  ;)

jc