Availability reporting rounding error

Andrew Kemp andrew_kemp at pacific.net.au
Wed Sep 4 05:45:53 CEST 2002

Greetings,

I believe I have discovered a rounding error in the availability
reporting for hosts and services.

We calculate an outage as the time spent in unscheduled UNKNOWN
and CRITICAL for services and time spent in unscheduled DOWN and
UNREACHABLE for hosts.

I have just been calculating the outages for our hosts and services for
the past month, dumped as an CSV file, where I discovered the error.

Nagios appears to have a rounding error as the values for these fields
is
4.29E+09 in excel (last few digits slightly different) or 49710d 4h 44m
34s
for Unscheduled DOWN in the availability CGI.

This is for all hosts that have not been down and services on these
hosts.
I leave the default of 'unspecified' for a starting value.

Regards,

Andrew