Nagios checking Microsoft Exchange SMTP

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Thu Oct 31 16:18:29 CET 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 09:56, Subhendu Ghosh wrote:
> if you are using check_smtp
>
> 1. make sure your source has "QUIT\r\n"
> 2. use the -f option so Exchange does not go into a wait mode in closing
> the connection.

I was reading item 2 above and looking at the code. If the mail server
software hasn't disguised itself, don't we know it fron the initial
response? (that is before the from_srt is sent?)

If so, can't we create and send a generic from command and send it by
default when we see that we're dealing with exchange? Actually, it looks
like we always send the from string, even if it's null, which seems
pointless.

Sorry if I'm being stupid here, or this has been covered already, but
I'm not a mail guru, and between work and kids, I don't get to read
every message on the list. But it seems that there's some cleanup left
in check_smtp from a usability point of view.