darn spaces in NT services

Mike McClure mmcclure at pneservices.com
Wed Oct 30 17:21:45 CET 2002

Hi Dean,

"Octel Unified Messenger Tracing System" is actually the "display name" of the
service.  It's real name is something different.  Open the properties for that
service, and look at the "Service name" field.  You should be able to use that
instead, it usually doesn't have spaces in it.

Mike

> Good morning,
>
> 	i am hesitant to even ask this as i think it has been answered in
> the past but i have spent the morning going through the archives trying to
> find the answer to this.
>
> i have a service that i need to check via nsclient.  According to regedit
> \\hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services the service is called Octel Unified
> Messenger Tracing System.
>
> i have tried enclosing it in quotes, as well as using quotes in the
> checkcommand macro (around $ARG1$), and escaping the spaces with a backslash
> but to no avail.
>
> Can someone please enlighten me as to how you monitor a service on a windows
> box that has spaces in the real name.
>
> thanks,
> dean

Mike McClure, CCIE # 5125, CISSP # 30232
PNE Services, Inc. -  http://www.pneservices.com
mmcclure at pneservices.com
mobile: 913-636-5590