Apan - but no graphs

Sean Knox sean.knox at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 30 10:11:00 CET 2002

The rrdtool path in generate.cgi also threw me for a loop. To everyone
configuring Apan, here are a couple "gotchas":

1. As Ralph points out, generate.cgi is hardcoded to use
/usr/local/bin/rrdtool as the rrdtool location. Be sure to change to the
actual location. (on Debian, for example, rrdtool is located in
/usr/bin/rrdtool)
2. Apan resolves hosts defined in the apan.cfg via /etc/hosts and DNS,
not through nagios. Be sure to use FQDN with your hosts or define them
in /etc/hosts.
3. Make sure your permissions on your rrd files are correct. For the
longest time I had the graphs themselves generated, but no data was
being put into them. (I stupidly created them as root. yes, i know that
was bad). It's still unclear which user accesses the .rrd files... the
webserver? nagios? nobody?
4. Apan currently has little or no error-checking...i.e. just about
everything is case sensitive...be careful!

Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. Apan has a ton of
potential- I can't wait to explore it.

Sean