/var/lock/subsys reference

Russell Scibetti russell at quadrix.com
Tue Oct 29 21:47:45 CET 2002

I've noticed that the init script that comes with Nagios makes reference
to a nagios file in the /var/lock/subsys directory when you try to stop
Nagios.  It tries removing this file.

Well, I'm trying to figure out is when/how this file is even created?
 The only references I can see to it are in the functions file and the
init script itself.

Also, two more question about this.  What if you aren't running on
Linux, on an OS that doesn't use /var/lock/subsys?  That reference
definitely seems hardcoded in the init daemon-init.in file.  And what
happens when you are running multiple instances of Nagios on 1 box.

I know Nagios uses the nagios.lock file for PID storage, and on the
Linux boxes I have running Nagios, the /var/lock/subsys/nagios file is
empty.  Is this necessary?  I don't understand what function this
exactly serves.  Any help with this would be appreciated as I am trying
to rewrite the init script to be more OS generic (some parts of it don't
work on Solaris).  Thanks.

-Russell Scibetti

--
Russell Scibetti