RFE: Virtual Contact

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Tue Oct 29 17:54:31 CET 2002

(As if the leads didn't already have enough to ponder....)

I was wondering if it would be possible to have the following Request For
Enhancement in a future release of Nagios:

   'Virtual Contact'

Features:

- a VC (Virtual Contact) could be assigned to a real contact
- this VC would (most likely) be the first to receive the pager/e-mail
notifications
- users who could change who the VC is assigned to would be restricted to a
'VC group' (perhaps this would simply be a matter of adding the VC to the
same contact group)
- depending on permissions, a user could send a short (120 character) msg to
the VC (or to any user, if this makes sense) from the web interface; this
msg would go to the pager, to e-mail, to SMS... whatever's defined for the
VC (/user)
- optionally (via config files) a user could determine who the VC resolves

I'm not sure how many organizations out there have a rotating "on call"
admin, but this is the case within my group.  A feature such as the above
would be useful.  "Blue sky" wish list, of course.  ;)

Food for thought.

jc