no email notifications

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Mon Oct 28 21:33:18 CET 2002

Yes and no.  Depends on whether you prefer the monolithic approach
(reinventing the wheel) or the modular approach (UNIX).

MTAs such as Sendmail have a long legacy of problems which have been
resolved/minimized.  Hence the growth in popularity of secure/high
performance MTAs such as Qmail and Postfix.

I'm sure if you wanted to avoid using Sendmail, you could hack together a
script using Expect and netcat.  ;)

(Of course, then you'll need to ponder what to do when the upstream MTA is
down or backlogged, how to deal with the appropriate error codes, etc.
While you're at it, perhaps you wouldn't mind whipping up a little code to
replace the BIND libraries.  ;)

jc