Weird Problem

Tony Tony at frazznet.com
Sun Oct 27 17:41:51 CET 2002

Hello all,

I am having the following problem with nagios.  I was having the same problem with netsaint on a different machine before I moved to nagios.  I have nagios monitoring a few different servers and hosts on the other side of a WAN. The industrial park where our building is located has major telecom problems.  This causes the occasional problem with the WAN going up and down.  However, sometimes the WAN wants to bounce quite a bit within a few hour time frame.  That is when my problem happens.  What happens is that when the WAN "flaps", it causes the reporting of all of the other services that nagios monitors to report down.  All of the services monitored are just pings to about 4 servers and a couple of switches.  I know the servers are up because I also setup Servers Alive to monitor all of the same servers.   I did Setup servers alive to monitor the nagios box and during times of this happening, the box is unreachable via port 23.  It is almost like all of the attempted pings to the wan are causing a denial of service attack on itself which caused the box not to be able to get to any other host.

I am sorry if this sounds confusing, but it is hard to explain.

Hopefully someone can read between my lines and tell me if they have ever seen this problem and if so, how they solved it.

Thanks
-Tony