Check only once a day.

Bishop, Dean dean.bishop at tcdsb.org
Fri Oct 25 16:32:05 CEST 2002

Good morning,

	create a time period:

define timeperiod{
	timeperiod_name		3am-check
	alias				3am-check
	sunday			03:00-3:15
	monday			03:00-3:15
	tuesday			03:00-3:15
	wednesday			03:00-3:15
	thursday			03:00-3:15
	friday			03:00-3:15
	saturday			03:00-3:15
	}

then the service and tell it to only check during the defined timeperiod:

define service{
	host_name			linux-server
	service_description	check-whatever-at-3am
	check_command		check-host-alive
	max_check_attempts	5
	normal_check_interval	5
	retry_check_interval	3
	check_period		3am-check
	notification_interval	30
	notification_period	24x7
	notification_options	w,c,r
	contact_groups		linux-admins
	}

Just consider all possible conditions so that you can accurately handle
timing:

--Everything is OK, so only a successful service check is run.  This should
only take a few seconds at most.

--Service is Non-OK, host is OK.  Timeout value for the service + a
successful host check.  Then service retry attempts * service timeout value.

--Host is Non-OK.  Timeout value for a service check + timeout for
max_check_attempts for host check.

you get the idea.

later,
dean