notify with qmail and gentoo problem

Lloyd Meinholz Meinholz at bmpcoe.org
Fri Oct 25 13:41:07 CEST 2002

BTW, sorry for replying to you directly, I should have checked the address.
I assumed reply went to the list, should have done reply to all I suppose...

I haven't found anything interesting in the /var/log/qmail dir, but I found
the following in messages:

Oct 25 05:40:21 mjollnir nagios: SERVICE NOTIFICATION: meinholz;frigga;www -
TechRep HTTP;CRITICAL;notify-by-email;Connection refused by host

This is funny, because I am able to mail to all address in my contacts.cfg
via mutt and also by echo'ing into /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject like
TEST.deliver says to, so I don't know what is refusing, unless the printf
(in the notify_by_email) thing is being refused for some reason...

Is there a simple way to use printf to send an email from the command line
to emulate what notify_by_email is actually doing? I could test that. I
can't decipher what notify_by_email is actually doing and I'm obviously not
a mail guru...

Since I got the following in nagios.log:

[1035474094] Warning: Attempting to execute the command "/usr/bin/printf
"%b" "Service: NTP\nHost: odin\nAddress: 204.255.194.4\nState: OK\nInfo: OK:
Time difference -0.033110 seconds\nDate: Thu Oct 24 11:41:34 EDT 2002" |  -s
"RECOVERY: Odin Sun E3000/NTP is OK" meinholz at imcingular.com" resulted in a
return code of 127.  Make sure the script or binary you are trying to
execute actually exists...

It seems to be guessing that a script or binary is missing. I checked that
/usr/bin/printf exists, is there anything else on my system that could be
missing? I don't have a telnet client installed for instance...

Lloyd