question on parallelization

Josh Larsen, Monitored Security josh.larsen at monitoredsecurity.com
Tue Oct 22 22:20:18 CEST 2002

If I recall, parallelization only occurs on _service_ checks.  If you force a _host_ down state, you will force Nagios to start doing host checks (remember host checks only get executed when service checks for that host fail), which do not get parallelized (is that a word?).  In other words, ping checks are bad for host checks due to the latency and long timeout which you mention.  I typically use a TCP port check as the host check.  In many instances my host check is actually the same check as the service check -- redundant, but I don't have a need to differentiate.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "fake a down state".  In any case make sure you take into account the differences between host checks and service checks.

HTH.