Host Check Clarification

Darren Gamble Darren.Gamble at sjrb.ca
Tue Oct 22 18:14:07 CEST 2002

Good day,

> So there really is no way to keep from being notified on
> temporary network
> outages?  This seems to me to be a very important oversight in the
> development of Nagios.

Yes, there are several methods.

You could use "max_check_attempts" in the host declaration to do this, by
setting the figure higher.  Nagios will retry the host longer, in the hopes
that the host will become reachable again.

You can also reduce the number of notifications by configuring parents,
which are designed for exactly this sort of thing.

And further to that, you can configure escalations to do something special
with the first X notifications and something different afterwards.

HTH,

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP