nagios.lock file

Russell Scibetti russell at quadrix.com
Fri Oct 18 23:02:44 CEST 2002

It's not that it can't find nagios.lock.  When you try to start nagios,
after it runs the nagios program in your bin directory, it looks to make
sure the lock file was created (i.e. - Nagios is actually running).  If
the program failed, you'll get this error since Nagios isn't running (no
lock file).

Two things to try...

1.  use the ./bin/nagios -v etc/nagios.cfg to check your configs.  If
you have any errors in your .cfg files, then you won't be able to start
Nagios.

2.  if the -v works ok, make sure all your paths to files are correct.
 I had a problem once where my paths in the nagios.cfg were incorrect,
but the -v sanity check came back ok because all my object definitions
(the etc/*.cfg) were correct.

-Russell Scibetti

Andrew Meyer wrote:

> for some reason now, i can't get nagios to start.  it claims it can't
> find the lock file, but when i try to do a touch nagios.lock and start
> it, it still doesn' work.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Andrew Meyer

Russell Scibetti