reading configs real-time??

Nolan Martin Nolan.Martin at co.travis.tx.us
Fri Oct 18 21:35:16 CEST 2002

I have experienced the same results.  It seems the only file - that I
have seen - that you can modify on the fly is the hostextinfo.cfg (for
icon associations).

The FAQs touch on this, in terms of adding hosts or services without
restarting.  That same authorization logic issue seems to apply to this
situation.  I agree though that it would be nice if you could make the
changes to the existing files while Nagios is still running.

I plan to duplicate the existing files, make modifications, stop
Nagios, replace the files and reload Nagios.  I would think, however,
that you should be able to modify the files offline, replace the
existing files with the modified files, and simply reload  Nagios,
forcing it to pull in the new configuration information.

Like you said though, not the most efficient process.  Perhaps other
suggestions?

Nolan

>>> "Bishop, Dean" <dean.bishop at tcdsb.org> 10/18/02 02:16PM >>>
Good morning,

	i was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and/or had
an
explaination.

When i open the config files and start modifying them while Nagios is
running, i often get errors on the web page stating that i don't have
permission to see the configs.  It seems like the files are open and
locked.

i was under the impression that the files were not read except during
the
startup.  Guess i am wrong.

so can i safely assume that the config's are not cached in memory at
startup
and that Nagios actually reads the configs to get information on what
check next??

this doesn't see very efficient.  Am i understanding wrong??

thanks,
dean