Host Dependencies

Michael Skelton MichaelS at mbasys.co.uk
Thu Oct 17 17:50:15 CEST 2002

Hi all.

I'm fairly new to Nagios, but so far I've managed to configure everything by
reading the documentation and through a bit of trial and error. I have now
hit my first and probably not my last problem.

I am monitoring a fully meshed network, i.e. switch 3 connects to switch 1
and switch 2 to get to switch 4.

Therefore if switch 1 fails switch 3 can still connect to switch 4 through
switch 2.

I want to configure host dependencies so switch 3 depends on switch 1 and
switch 2. If switch 1 or switch 2 fail I still wish to receive notifications
from switch 3 however if switch 1 and switch 2 fail I do not wish to receive
notifications from switch 3.

My question is will the host definition below do the job?

define hostdependency{
	host_name 		switch1,switch2
	dependent_host_name 		switch3
	notification_failure_criteria 		d,u
	}

Thanks in advance.

Mick

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the
addressee(s) and may be legally privileged and/or confidential. If you have
received this email in error please destroy it and contact the sender, via
our switchboard on +44 (0)1962 841494 or via return e-mail. You should not
copy, forward or use the contents, attachments or information in any way.
Any unauthorised use or disclosure may be unlawful. MBA Systems gives no
warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of this email after it is sent
over the Internet and accepts no responsibility for changes made after it
was sent. Any opinion expressed in this email may be personal to the author
and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of MBA Systems or its
affiliates. They may also be subject to change without notice.